With the help of Grandpa Brent and his handy tools, Nelson made his first pinewood car and competed in his first derby race. This is a Cub Scout tradition I was not introduced to as a child because of the lack of boys in our home. As a former Cub Scout leader, wife and mother of a cub, I have now had the opportunity to participate in a few races. This one was by far the most exciting because it was my first as a mom. As most of you know, I am Nelson's biggest fan.
Nelson drew what he wanted the car to look like several days before the work began and with a few minor changes it emerged from the saw dust on a cold Saturday night in the Harward garage/workshop. He wanted it painted red (his favorite color) with a silver lighting bolt on the hood. He designed a place for his Lego man to sit on the top. His Lego man held a light saber, though was not allowed to race with it because, evidentally, racing with weapons in hand is dangerous.
Though he did not come in first, he had fun with his car and watching his friends cars speed down the long metal track. Here a few pics from the fun day.
In the picture on the track, Nelson's car is in lane 2, second from the left just coming under the radar bar. He came in third place in this heat. There were 18 cars.
1 comment:
Nelson, what a great looking car! I love the lightening bolt! On our last trip to Mississippi, Paul found his wooden derby car and it's now sitting in a place of honor on our book shelf. I hope Michael gets a chance to race cars like you, too, when he gets bigger!
Post a Comment